Monday, June 19, 2017

Not Sure How George Knows What Hellfire Is


     Tomorrow is Surgery Day for Lexi and George. Everyone is remarkably calm about this. I think I might not be as calm as I thought, because, last night I dreamt that I arrived at the place the surgery would take place, calmly sat in the waiting room, and didn't realize until we were called back, that I had forgotten the kids.
     Mostly, the kids are excited about the large amount of popsicles in the freezer, and the obscene amount of jello and pudding waiting to be made. They really can't wait until after their surgery. I haven't the heart to tell them that there's a good chance that they won't want to eat anything.


     Our schedules are finally winding down though, which is a blessing of untold proportions. It must have really hit us all yesterday finally, because we all spent the day mostly sleeping, or drowsily stumbling from couch to patio chair to porch chair, to doze some more. Honestly, I could have slept non stop all day, and all night too.
     As such, I threw on comfy albeit "not to be worn outside of the house" clothes, and, in the less than 10 minutes I spent outside of the house, I managed to run into half the people I know in town. Which is how those sorts of  outfits work.
     I also ignored the massive amount of overdue housework and my van in desperate need of a good cleaning, because, I truthfully could barely move, I was so tired. It isn't like the mess going to go anywhere. So, when a friend of one of the kids wandered over, I apologized for the state of my house. "Oh. Doesn't it always look like this?" the little darling responded a little tartly. And I told her it was our dinner time, and she should probably go home now.


     George wasn't quite sure what to do with this down time. To come to a screeching stop after 2 months of constant "on the go" was a little bit of an adjustment for him. He pounced on Lexi, who was lying on the couch, reading a book and licking some candy thing she'd bought. "Lexi, can I have some?"
 "No."
"You have hellfire in your heart." she was vehemently told.


     George managed to get out of the house for a few hours. The Cub Scouts hosted a Father's Day Chicken BBQ at the local fire hall that he had to help out with.
I happened to drive past it, as it was winding down, and, there, in the front lawn of the fire hall on Main Street, right near the side walk, was George, channeling his inner Elvis, and dancing. So, he managed to occupy himself in the end.


     As I get through one last work day before the kids' surgeries, I did make a quick call home, to inform the girls that some serious housework needed to be done. It was reported  that they would try to get to it, but, they had decided to do fabulous make up, wear fancy dresses, make tea, and watch a movie. It was the least they could do, since Lexi will be going under the knife tomorrow. It was also confirmed that Lexi is, indeed, allowed to eat. Kaila was ready to fast right along with her sister, if Lexi was forbidden from eating until after her surgery tomorrow. The girls were assured that everyone was allowed to eat until midnight tonight, to their great relief.


     The resident new driver continues to drive whenever possible. Except for the chipmunk on her first day, there have been no more casualties so far. I had her drive me to a coffee shop about 20 miles from home last night, as, I needed gift cards. I made the mistake of allowing Kaila to order a drink, and then reconsidered when I remembered she was driving. So, we tooled around the corner to my sister's house, so she didn't have to drink and drive. A phone call with Lexi had me explaining this, but, it turned in to "Kaila and Mom are at Aunt Bri's because Kaila was drinking and driving." My children seemed to accept this, and, when we arrived home, resignedly asked Kaila what she had been drinking, that she was in bad enough shape to not be able to drive. I was also lectured soundly for my irresponsibility. No one seemed to be surprised at the assumption that I had taken their 16 year old sister out for a few drinks. I swear I rarely drink, and Kaila never has, so, I am not sure why my kids were so quick to condemn here, but, I can assure all; she literally drank an Oreo iced cappuccino. For the record and all.


     Wedding season is upon us! Two of my brothers are getting married soon! I had George with me when I recently went Bridal Shower Shopping for one of the upcoming weddings. George located blue tooth speakers, and began dancing in the aisles of Bed Bath and Beyond. He begged me to buy that for my brother and his wife to be, but, I told him it wasn't on their list. "Grown ups are dumb." was the response.
    Ah well.


     Wish us luck tomorrow, and in the coming week for fast healing for my poor kids!


    




 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment