Monday, April 21, 2014

George's Weekend Shenanigans

      Easter yesterday, had me feeling all Mary Poppins and Maria VonTrapp, all in one. With maybe a little bit of Matilda's Mom in there, because, that's kinda how I feel I parent most of the time.
     Anyhow, the day began with the kids finding their Easter baskets bright and early, and eating candy for breakfast. Approximately 5 minutes before we had to be out the door for 8:30 am Mass, they all decided we should have a proper breakfast right now. And Lexi decided to wash her new shoes in the bathroom sink. By completely submerging them in water. And George ran HIS shoes through gross stuff outside, so THOSE needed to be scrubbed as well. And Joe didn't know where his dress pants were - that child has no end problems with pants, it seems.
     We made it to church all in one piece and looking mostly respectable. I wished triplets onto George at approximately mid point during Mass. Not sure if it was before or after he decided to go all Olaf during the singing parts, and, not knowing the words to any of the songs, sang "In Summer" in his best loud opera voice. All long lingering and loud at the end of every song.

     "MOM! IS IT TIME TO GO HOME YET?"

     "Ssssshhhhh!!!! Not yet. In a little while."

     "OKAY. I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD CHECK, MAMA."

     "Okay. Ssshhhh! We need to be quiet, okay?"

     "OKAY. MAMA? WHY DOESN'T THAT MAN HAVE ANY HAIR? THAT GUY, RIGHT THERE IN THE BLUE SHIRT?"

     "George! SSSSHHHHHH!!!!! Probably because he was bad in church when he was little,"

     "I HAFTA GO POTTY NOW!"

     "You absolutely REFUSED to go potty before this started! Are you SURE?"

     "YES!!!!!!! I HAVE TO GO NOW!"

     "George, you can't hold it for just a few more minutes, till everyone stands up?"

     "IF YOU DON'T LET ME GO POTTY RIGHT NOW, I WILL PEE IN MY PANTS, MAMA! AND MY SHOES WILL BE ALL WET!"

     "Go. And don't run."

     "Mom! George is digging through my pockets! Make him stop!"

     "Mom! George is wearing my coat!"

     "Mom! George keeps hitting me!"

     "Mom! George is trying to bite me!"

     "Make  him stop growling!"

     "Mom!!!! GEORGE!!!!"

     "Did you just tell George you wish triplets on him??? In church?? Is that allowed? Can you DO that?"

     "Shut up, Jasin, or deal with him yourself."

After church, the children were all given donuts to keep them occupied while Easter Eggs were hidden outside. It was with quiet kids and me feeling all relaxed and not stressed, that the head of Religious Ed approached me. She asked if I could please please please teach the 7th and 8th grade Sunday School class next fall. It seems the current teacher is quitting after the end of this year, because the kids are for the most part, absolutely dreadful. Jasin was told he could help out (Which was the way we say "Provide threatening looking security, to keep the little dears in line for the good of their blessed little souls for an hour and a half every week during the school year") and George can sit in, too. I imagine that should go well. Not sure who is going to learn from whom, actually.

     The Easter Egg hunt was just  perfect. The Church lawns and gardens are just beautiful, and seeing all the parish kids dressed up and running through spring flowers was really one of those moments that you wish could be captured forever. It was like living in a story book for about 10 minutes.

     The rest of the day, once we arrived home, was spent outdoors. The weather was the best it's been this year, and we had no specific plans. We took the kids up the road to Case Lake, and flew kites, played on the playground, and ran around for a few  hours. We took them on a long bike ride all over the village. (Rode by a little boy and his Dad "Daddy? Why are there all these people riding bikes? Is there a parade today?") The puppy chased bubbles, and was hauled around the block on numerous walks all weekend. He was completely happily exhausted. We had the first cookout and dinner of the year on the back patio, and just all around had a really amazing day.

     No indoor chores were done all weekend. Which really isn't a good thing, as, my scrub situation is dire. And, with the house looking the way it does, there is almost guaranteed company. Therefore, cleaning and laundry is on the docket when I get home from work tonight. And, aside from leftover macaroni salad, there is nothing planned for dinner tonight, because I completely forgot about it. Which should go over well with Joe. Who is pretty sure I am deliberately trying to starve him to death anyway, and who (you guessed it!) hates macaroni salad.

     Also this week, I need to undo all George's stuff from this weekend. He apologized long and heartily, but, I honestly couldn't even speak. Saturday, he went around looking for worms and ants, and over tuned and moved every single garden boarder I have. Last summer, it was all my solar lights; this year, it's the garden boarders. My poor gardens don't seem to stand a chance with that child.I need to go through (With his assistance) and put them all to rights again. He did try to put them all back together again though. So there is that.....
     My vehicle now has several scratches all over the hood, and a muddy footprint on the windshield. It seems he discovered how to climb onto the hood of my truck. With his sneakers on, with stones in the treads. And dance. I imagine my diva of a vehicle is not pleased, and I can only imagine the issues I will now have with it over this indignity. You think I'm kidding?? It KNOWS things.

     Anyhow, that's the weekend, and the plans for the week. God Bless the teachers today, who have to deal with the overtired, sugar infused, just off of Spring Break children of yesterday. Good luck, keeping them all cooped up after every kid in town spent the last several days outside.... You have my thoughts and sympathy today!

 
    
 
    
    

    

3 comments:

  1. Soooooooo true. It was horrable going to school again after that amazing spring break. By the way this is Kaila her daughter for those of you that don't know me at all. Hi people!!!! And please, comment!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, keep up on the good work mom!! Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you write a new one soon. They are good.

    ReplyDelete