Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Thug Life

     Entirely too much time has been spent away from my kids. At least, if the conversations yesterday were any indication.

     Yesterday the kids began Spring Break from school. Something Super Mom here honestly didn't realize. It also dawned with: George out of bed and up for the day at 1am, 2am, and 4:30 am respectively, and a migraine that ended with a 2 hour long bloody nose for this already anemic Mama.
     I decided the Universe was telling me to stay home and try to stop bleeding all over the place. Also, I wouldn't see my kids again till Saturday. Also, I had nothing in place for the kids for Spring Break, thinking I had a week to think about it still. So, I called in, managed to stop the bleeding an hour later, and went back to bed for another hour.
     After which, the kids and I had a "Let's use all the gift cards we have lying around the house!!!" Day in Buffalo. Did I have the energy? No. Did we really need some Mom and kid time away from the mundane? Yes.

     The hour long drive to Buffalo picked up on a recent conversation that Kaila and I had. During which my almost 14 year old informed me that she really needs leather. Maybe a jacket, or whatever. But, she would like more leather in her wardrobe.
     A few days later, she emailed me a picture of a 3-D full arm tattoo of what looked like
 a robotic arm under what looked like torn skin, with the tag line "I NEED THIS TATTOO!!!!!!"
     And THIS is what happens, when you let your teenager get her hair dipped purple. One day, we are trying out for the school play, and singing opera in the shower, and the next, we have purple hair, and requests for leather and tattoos.

     Yesterday's conversation centered around her 21st Birthday, and the likely probability that she will end it quite drunk after a party, during which her first beer will "probably be a Bud, because I like their commercials."

     At which Lexi (aged 11) announced that Kaila will be 21 right after Lexi is 18, and "OLD ENOUGH TO GAMBLE!!!!"

     "WHAT???!!!!!!"

      "VOTE! I meant VOTE, Mom!"

This was followed by a maternal whimper, and Joe piping up that I have at least ONE good kid (Himself...). George is a total loss, as far as they are concerned. (Another thing about the lack of Mom presence. George has become a terror of epic proportions around the house lately.)

George, after silence in the back row announced "My butt hurts, Mama!"

"Why does your butt hurt, George?"

"Because it has a CRACK IN IT!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!"

George has also recently informed me that he needs to grow his hair out, so he can have a mohawk. Evidently his "Bros" at school have dictated this, so, he must.

     At the end of the day, the kids and I had a good time. Tattoos, purple hair, plans of drunken parties and gambling, mohawks, and everything.
     We visited the Science Museum. We had lunch. We went to the movies where George only had to go potty twice, and we stopped for ice cream on the way home.

     I did not bleed anymore, and, as determined as I am to NOT like the minivan, the kids fit beautifully and comfortably in it. It was a good day overall.

     I also discovered the stow and go storage this weekend while grocery shopping. It was seriously SO handy and amazing, that I dragged Bearded Man over to check it out. And that is what is exciting in my life right now. Minivan features. Here is Super Mama, checking out Stow and Go, and marveling over push button lift gates, while my kid Googles tattoos and leather.

     I suppose I can hope for the best. But plan for the worst. Next up: Googling how to bake cakes with files inside. Just in case.

    

    
    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment